The “Diego Rivera Mural Museum” in Mexico City
About the exhibits at the Diego Rivera Mural Museum, we can say that over 90% of their collection comes from paintings, and the other 10% consists of sculptures and other art works.
The star of the museum is without a doubt the mural "Dream of a Summer Afternoon at the Alameda" obviously authored by Diego Rivera. This work is a ‘fresco’ which portrays many characters that (in Rivera’s opinion) shaped the contemporary Mexico. The characters range from common merchants to former presidents, as well as Rivera's own biographical elements which also show in the mural.
The Mural Museum was finished in 1947 and was exposed inside the restaurant of the Hotel del Prado until mid-1985. In September of that year, Mexico City experienced one of the most destructive earthquakes of the century, and the building was badly damaged, therefore the Mural Museum was moved and restored by the National Institute of Fine Arts (INBA).
The mural is constantly visited by students, artists and the general public simply for the pleasure of contemplating the Diego Rivera’s art. Background music and chairs provide a space to relax and feel comfortable while admiring the exhibition.
About the temporary exhibits, some of the ones that have been in the museum are: The Bicentennial, Ten Views of Latin American Artists, The Exhibition of Teresa Chico (who painted on the walls), "The Other City," which shows the exclusion of the poor in society, and many more. Temporary exhibitions last, at least, two months and no more than four. The museum also participates in the activities of the Night of the Museums (last Wednesday of each month) and offers guided tours to groups.
It must also be noted that the Diego Rivera Mural Museum is small, ideal to go through it in one hour while walking along the Alameda Square to Bellas Artes. It is located one block from the Hidalgo subway station and across the San Judas Church. The visitor who prefers to avoid crowds must visit the museum anyday, except the 28th of each month, as there are many tourists attending. The museum sits on the corner of Balderas and Colon. The cost of admission is very affordable (only $19 mexican pesos (around 2 dlls.) and students, teachers and seniors can enter free). The museum's website is:
Enjoy your visit!