How to obtain the Mexican Passport

How to obtain the Mexican Passport
Many of us will someday need it to travel abroad and the first thing you should consider is if you are below, or if you are above Mexico’s legal age. Let's start talking about the applicable procedure if you are 18 years of age or older:

Although some information can be obtained online you will have to schedule an appointment in the SRE (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) or nearest liaison office. Due to the large number of applicants, their schedule goes from 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM on weekdays and from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM on Saturdays. Their toll-free number is 01-800-159-7777. It is also possible to schedule an appointment through their home page:

When you get to the ministry’s office, you will need to fill in the OP-5 form, with your own handwriting using print letters and a black pen (the form can also be downloaded from their web page and filled up at home; just make sure to sign it in front of a ministry’s representative, at their premises).

Proof of nationality is required and can be done by bringing ONE of the following documents:

• Updated birth certificate (Obtaining it is a very simple and quick process. In many locations there are ATM-like machines that print-out your birth certificate by typing your full name and your date and place of birth).

• Certificate of Mexican nationality

• Declaration of Mexican nationality (available both at Mexican embassies and consular offices)

• Letter of naturalization (for Immigrants)

• CURP (Clave Unica de Registro de Población) which is a National Identity Card issued by the government.

The documents must not contain any amendments:

You must also bring ONE of the following government-issued photo IDs:

• Mexican Passport (for renewals only)

• Voter’s registration card (IFE)

• School Certificate (one that includes your photo and SEP stamp.)

• Professional Certificate

• Professional license

• Letter of Internship

• Current medical services ID for any public institution with a stamped photograph (Note: medical appointment cards are not accepted)

• INAPAM’s ID (National Institute for the Elderly)

• Retirement ID Card

• Military service card

Always verify that the photo ID and proof of citizenship document match exactly.

You will also require:

• 2 passport-size photographs, front view, white background, no hats or scarves, taken less than 30 days prior to the procedure. Despite already having them, you will also be digitally photographed during the appointment.

And finally:

Fee payment receipt, showing that you made the payment which can be done in most banks. For the name of some approved banks, click on the link below:

Now I will list the steps for those under 18 years old. In the case of a minor, both parents shall accompany the minor. :

1. Take you child to a SRE or liaison office (Enlace).

2. Form OP-7 filled by both parents in print and black ink.

3. Prove your child Mexican nationality by presenting ONE of the following: :

• Birth registration document.

• Birth notice for children under 12 years.

• Certified letter of adoption including the court’s resolution.

4. Submit ONE photo ID of the child such as: :

• Previous Passport

• School Certificate not older than 30 days from the day of appointment

• Current student ID

Also: :

• 2 passport-size color pictures.
You must bring the original or certified copy of the document, in addition to a regular copy.

Current fees in Mexican pesos are: :

• For a One year passport .- for minors under 3 and people that need to leave the country due to an emergency: $410 pesos.

• For a Three years passport .- Older than 3 years of age: $850 pesos

• For a 6 years passport .- Older than 3 years of age: $1170 pesos

• For a 10 years passport .- If you are 18 and older: $ 1795 pesos

If you have all your documents handy, the process to obtain a passport is really easy and fast. So, now you know: If you want to travel abroad, make sure to have your PASSPORT updated!

Article produced by the Editorial Team of "Explorando Mexico".
Copyright Explorando México, All rights reserved.

Related Articles
Popular Videos
The archaeological site of Paquimé and its culture

The archaeological site of Paquimé and its culture

Unlike at the southeast of Mexico in the north of the country there are no major archaeological sites mainly due to shortage of water, however the prehispanic settlement of Paquimé is an exception and one of the most amazing places in Mexico. It was named World Heritage site in 1998
Read More>>

7 Activities You Can't Miss In Cabo San Lucas

7 Activities You Can't Miss In Cabo San Lucas

The Paradise Baja coast offers visitors a range of ways to entertain, relax and enjoy the visit. Although that spontaneous trips offer charm is undoubtedly true, in this place it is advisable to plan a bit in advance our amusements, for which offers this list of activities without which them a visit to Cabo San Lucas is not complete.
Read More>>

The waterfalls of Hierve el Agua in Oaxaca

The waterfalls of Hierve el Agua in Oaxaca

Although our first thought when talking about waterfalls is a huge and spectacular view as in the case of Niagara Falls, the eco-tourism zone of “Hierve el agua” presents a very different picture, but equally or even more spectacular since it is more rare to observe. And it is because the waterfalls at Hierve el agua are petrified.
Read More>>

Subscribe and share